Thursday, January 29, 2009

Introductory Words

I have a few stories to tell and until now I've been telling them in photographs on Flickr, picture by picture. But I want to tell the story of my father and the airplane accident that took his life 50 years ago this February (2009). There are a lot of photographs, charts, letters. I am hoping that blog can bring them all together. We shall see.

If you have come upon this, you'll see that I've started off with the brief story of the San Francisco Boys Chorus, the San Francisco Girl's Chorus and their trip to Washington, D.C., to sing at the Inauguration of Barack Obama. I liked the result andall I can say is that there is a bigger story to tell -- the struggle to survive that faced my father and a colleague 50 years ago this February. They would in the end make snowshoes from branches and warm clothes from the small airplane's insulation and, finally when there was no hope, they would write notes and cork them in bottles and leave them for us to find. The Dartmouth Outing Club coordinated a three-month search and its members were the first to hike into the crash site along the North Fork of the Pemigawaset River in the Pemigawaset wilderness. Now the Dartmouth Outing Club has been kind enough to invite me back to this rugged country on the anniversary of this accident. It seemed the moment to get it all down on paper -- or at least on blog -- as best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment